We are super pumped to have been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award! A huge thanks to Zoe, the wonderful human behind the travel blog Zo Around The World, for nominating us. Zoe’s blog provides heaps of great advice for budget travellers wanting to get off the beaten path. Check it out!
What is the Versatile Blogger Award?
The Versatile Blogger Award is an award given by bloggers to other up-and-coming bloggers. It is designed to encourage new bloggers to keep up the good work, and help people to discover new blogs. It may kinda sound like we are all just patting each other on the back out here in blogger world, but there are some criteria for selection! When nominating someone for a Versatile Blogger Award, you must consider:
- the quality of the writing;
- the uniqueness of the subjects covered;
- the ‘level of love’ displayed in the person’s writing; and
- the quality of the photographs.
What are the rules?
There are a couple of rules for the Versatile Blogger Award. You must:
- display the award on your website;
- thank the person who nominated you and share a link to their blog;
- share seven facts about yourself; and
- nominate up to 10 other bloggers for the award.
7 facts about us
- How we met: We met on a study trip to China way back in high school! Neither of us had really travelled before, and it is probably where our love of travel began.
- Sports we play: Back in Australia, we both play on the same mixed netball team. If you don’t know what netball is, it is kind of like basketball. Tom also plays social basketball, and Katherine plays rugby (when she’s not injured).
- Where we grew up: Katherine grew up in outback Australia on a big sheep/goat station, and Tom grew up surfing on the south coast of Australia.
- Our favourite meal: Melbourne has a huge brunch and coffee culture, which we gladly fell in love with it when we moved there a couple of years ago. Now we are big coffee snobs and love a bit of smashed av’ on sourdough on a Sunday morning.
- Why we started our blog: Katherine was told by a fortune teller in Hong Kong that she shouldn’t ‘waste’ her 12 months of travel in 2016, and should learn something new. So we decided to learn how to make a website! We also found it really difficult to find specific information for many of the places we have visited, so wanted to share some of the things we learned with other travellers.
- Our favourite country: We can’t actually decide which is our favourite country, so we created a shortlist. We loved Argentina, South Korea, Mongolia, Nepal and Iran. We know that’s not particularly helpful. Soz.
- Our worst flight: Our worst ever flight would easily be the flight from Rurrenabaque in the Amazon jungle to La Paz in Bolivia. Katherine had been struck down by some mystery illness so was pretty much comatose, but Tom was convinced that the plane was going to crash and we would die in the Andes.
Here are our nominees for the Versatile Blogger Award. Check them out!
- SoloPassport: Raksha’s motto on her blog is “Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport!”. Raksha takes beautiful travel photos, and has plenty of other inspiring travel quotes to keep you motivated.
- The Hackerette: Kamelia has a really well-designed blog that has all sorts of travel and life hacks. She has travelled to over 20 countries, and her blog has loads of tips that will help you save money on your next trip.
- The Travel Realist: This blog is for the majority of us travellers who have jobs, mortgages, kids, pets and other responsibilities that mean indefinite travel is off the cards – but still want to get the most out of their annual leave and long weekends. The Travel Realist also has some great tips for shy solo travellers
- The Travelling Bookworm: Love books? Love travel? Then this blog is for you! Rhiann is only 17 years old, and she has designed a beautiful website where she shares travel advice and book reviews. She is off to Vietnam next year – we can’t wait to follow her adventures!
- Bonita On Safari: Bonita is a Kenyan travel blogger and photographer with an adventurous spirit. She takes spectacular photos of the natural world, and has inspired us to visit Africa!
- It’s A Pretty Simple Life: We had planned to just nominate travel bloggers for this award, but we loved this website so much we couldn’t resist nominating it! Keanna and Monti share their cheats, eats and treats on their blog with plenty of inspiration for living a simple but fulfilling life.
- The Redhead Abroad: Jenn describes herself as a 20 something Canadian redhead with a fierce need for wanderlust. She has been living and travelling abroad for the past two years and counting. Her blog is pretty new, but we are sure there are plenty of great things to come!
- Stephanie’s Travel Diary: Stephanie is from the Netherlands, and although she has graduated from law school she would rather travel! Her blog has travel guides of all the cities that she has visited, articles about her favourite hostels, restaurants and activities, personal stories and travel tips.
- Wings Unleashed: Dane and Kristina both quit their jobs and are currently travelling through SE Asia. They are sharing really honest accounts of the good (and bad) parts of their trip, including a nightmare Halong Bay cruise. Kristina hasn’t had much travel experience so she has really jumped in the deep end with this trip!
- Eggbanana Travels: David and Caroline are from New Zealand and Malaysia respectively, and have been sharing their awesome cycling adventures on their blog. They have just finished a trip through Russia that sounded amazing, despite the annoying Russian visa hassles!